Getting involved in a professional association has a number of benefits. Luckily for professionals working in residence life and college student housing, there are a number of ways to get involved. The Association of College and University Housing Officers – International (ACUHO-I) represents professionals on the national level, but there are also regional associations that provide more accessible opportunities in your own backyard. One such organization is UMR-ACUHO.
What is NEACUHO?
UMR-ACUHO stands for the Upper-Midwest Region Association of College and University Housing Officers. It is a regional professional association that serves professionals who work in the field of college and university housing and residential life in the midwestern United States and Canada. UMR-ACUHO includes Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and the Province of Manitoba, Canada.
What are the benefits of joining and engaging with UMR-ACUHO?
- Professional Development: UMR-ACUHO offers a range of professional development opportunities, including conferences, workshops, and webinars. By participating in these events, you can enhance your knowledge and skills, stay updated on current trends and best practices in the field of college and university housing, and gain valuable insights from experienced professionals.
- Networking: UMR-ACUHO provides a platform for networking with professionals in the field. Connecting with colleagues from different institutions can expand your professional network, open up opportunities for collaboration, and foster the exchange of ideas and resources. Building relationships within the UMR-ACUHO community can be valuable for your career growth.
- Leadership Development: Involvement in UMR-ACUHO offers leadership opportunities. You can volunteer to serve on committees, task forces, or the executive board. Engaging in leadership roles allows you to contribute to the strategic direction of the association, develop your leadership skills, and gain valuable experience that can benefit your career advancement.
- Sharing and Learning: UMR-ACUHO encourages the sharing of knowledge, experiences, and best practices among its members. By actively participating in UMR-ACUHO events, you can not only learn from others but also share your own insights, innovative ideas, and successful initiatives. This collaborative environment fosters growth and continuous improvement within the field.
- Recognition and Visibility: Active involvement in UMR-ACUHO can enhance your professional visibility and reputation within the field. Through presentations, committee work, and other contributions, you can showcase your expertise and demonstrate your commitment to the advancement of college and university housing. This can lead to recognition by your peers and potential career opportunities.
- Access to Resources: UMR-ACUHO provides access to a wide range of resources, including publications and presentations related to college and university housing. As a member, you can tap into these resources to stay informed about industry developments and access valuable materials that can support your work.
How can I get involved in UMR-ACUHO?
- Membership: Become a member of UMR-ACUHO. Visit the UMR-ACUHO membership page to learn about the membership options and join the association. Departments can join, which makes all staff in that department a member, or you can join as an individual member.
- Attend Events: Participate in UMR-ACUHO conferences, workshops, and other events. These gatherings provide excellent opportunities to network with professionals in the field, learn from experts, and engage in discussions about relevant topics. The most well known event of UMR-ACUHO is its annual conference, typically taking place in the fall. UMR-ACUHO has also traditionally hosted a Regional Entry Level Institute (RELI) which helps current entry level staff in residence life prepare for mid-level roles.
- Volunteer: UMR-ACUHO relies on volunteers to assist with the planning and execution of their programs, events, and services. UMR-ACUHO has an executive board with both elected and appointed roles. There are also opportunities through committees, which are often more accessible and flexible opportunities which have varying time commitments.
- Present or Write: Share your expertise and insights by presenting at UMR-ACUHO conferences or writing for UMR-ACUHO’s Perspectives magazine. If you have a topic or experience you believe would benefit the UMR-ACUHO community, consider submitting a proposal. This can be an excellent opportunity to contribute to the professional development of others.
- Connect on Social Media: Follow UMR-ACUHO’s social media channels, such as Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Engage with their posts, share your insights, and connect with other professionals in the field.