The residence life “RD” can go by many names… Hall Director, Area Coordinator, Community Director, Residence Hall Coordinator, etc. Finding quality materials and resources related to the “RD” position in residence life and college student housing can be difficult. The following are curated resources to help you improve your practice.
If you have a resource that you think we’re missing, let us know. We aim to keep this as up-to-date as possible.
Our “Topics” resource pages curate content (articles, Reseach, videos, etc.) on important subjects in Residence Life and college student housing. Explore content on residential curriculum, restorative practices, living learning communities, RA training and selection, roommate agreements, and more!
- 5 Quotes That Show Ted Lasso Would Make an Excellent Residence Director
- ResLife Mom: Living In, With Children
- Rankin, P. R. (2013). Work/life boundary management in an integrative environment:
A study of residence life professionals who live at their place of work (Publication No. 1429526281) [Doctoral dissertation, University of San Diego]. ProQuest Central.
- Thomas, I. J. (2018). The 24/7 student affairs professional: A study of how residence directors make meaning of wellness (Publication No. 10823561) [Doctoral dissertation, Northeastern University]. ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global.
- Totman, J. (2012). Improving recruitment of entry- level residence hall directors of the millennial generation (UMI No. 1095536531) [Doctoral dissertation]. ProQuest Dissertations and Theses.
Books, Research, and Journal Articles
- Belch, H., & Mueller, J. (2003). Candidate pools or puddles: Challenges and trends in the recruitment and hiring of resident directors. Journal of College Student Development, 44(1), 29–46. http://doi.org/10.1353/csd.2003.0001
- Belch, H. A., Wilson, M. E., & Dunkel, N. (2009). Cultures of success: Recruiting and retaining new live-in residence life professionals. College Student Affairs Journal, 27(2), 176–193.
- Davidson, D. L. (2012). Job satisfaction, recruitment, and retention of entry-level residence life and housing staff. The Journal of College and University Student Housing, 38(2), 78–93.
- Scheuermann, T., & Ellett, T. (2007). A 3-D view of recruitment and retention of entry-level housing staff: Déjà vu, deliberation, decisive action. The Journal of College and University Student Housing, 34(2), 12–20.
- St. Onge, S., Ellett, T., & Nestor, E. M. (2008). Factors affecting recruitment and retention of entry-level housing and residential life staff: Perceptions of chief housing officers.The Journal of College and University Student Housing, 35(2), 10–23.